I arrived in Cairns without any incidents. Dana was standing there when I got off the plane waiting to greet me. The house we are staying in is lovely. Our backyard is the rainforest. The birds sound like they are in the house with you and a couple that may have been if given an opportunity. My only concern was the very, very large spider in the backyard.
Before I went to bed last night I opened my window so I could fall asleep listening to the birds, crickets and other wildlife. I woke up at about 4:00 and I decided to peer out the windows to see if I could catch any wildlife running across the backyard. When I got up the back door was wide opened. At first I thought Dana must be outside, but after a while I could tell no one was there. I had to decide whether I was brave enough to go outside by myself in the pitch black darkness. I kept thinking about the humongous spider I had seen the night before and was a bit concerned that it would be on the couch for me waiting for me to sit on it so he would have an excuse to bite me. Irrational I know, but you didn‘t see the spider. I decided it would be safer to just move a chair in front of the door and watch safely from inside. I sat there for about 30 minutes until I couldn’t stand it anymore, so I threw caution to the wind and sat outside. Dana joined me soon after that and we sat there and listened as the rainforest woke up. It is an experience I highly recommend. Luckily, I didn’t find out until later that the spider was missing from where we first spotted it.
After Dana and I felt confident that every animal in the rainforest had said good morning to us, we decided to take a walk. We went to the beach, took our shoes off and went wading in the ocean. The water was surprisingly warm. It was 7:00 AM, we were splashing in waves above our knees and we were warm. It was amazing.
We ran into a dog that was fishing in a little pool of water. The dog had caught a fish the day before, but was having no luck today.
Today’s itinerary included a visit to the wetlands for a sunset tour hoping to catch a glimpse at some wildlife.. It was about an hour from where we were staying over some very windy roads.. On the way there we passed a field full of Kangaroos. Unfortunately we couldn’t find any place to pull over to take pictures, but it was quite a site..
The sunset tour started at 3:30. Unfortunately, the tour guide forgot to tell the wildlife what time it started so most of them failed to show up. We did see a lizard, a couple of birds whose names I can‘t remember. We also saw a couple of kangaroos, however, they wouldn’t be still so we could take their picture.
After the tour we were served wine and cheese and watched a beautiful sunset.
It was quite dark when we left and before we even made it to the main road a very large kangaroo run across the street in front of our car. Fortunately for the kangaroo, Wayne’s spidey sense kicked in and he could sense the kangaroo before he could see it and was able to avoid hitting it.

No comments:
Post a Comment