Friday, April 24, 2009

Port Arthur


Sue and I started our morning much like we would have if I had been home, chatting on line. I was on my computer in my bedroom finishing updating yesterday’s blog when she got up and logged onto her computer. Not wanting to be rude, but being to lazy to get out of bed, (it was only 5:00AM) I sent her a message and we visited via msn until I felt like getting out of bed. What can I say, some habits are hard to break. When I finally decided it was time to get up, we adjourned to the patio for tea and crumpets. What a way to start the morning.






After our leisurely breakfast out on the patio, we headed out on our adventure of the day. Port Arthur is an old penal station that was established in 1830. It was a punishment station for repeat offenders from all of the Australian colonies. The grounds the penitentiary were built on are lovely. We were a little concerned about the weather, but we were fortunate and only got sprinkled on towards the end of the tour.







We left Port Arthur and headed for the Blow Hole. We arrived there only to find seven police cars and police tape blocking off the entrance . A surfboarder had drowned earlier in the day and they were waiting for the ambulance to pick up the body. However, it wasn’t a total loss. There was a snack cart selling ice cream with berries on top. We could tell that the drowning had been bad for business so felt compelled to buy some ice cream just to help out. You know me, always thinking of others.









On the way to the Blow Hole, we passed Doo Town. What is Doo Town you ask? Well, I’m still not quite sure but it appears that everyone has a “Doo” word on their shack. What is a shack you ask? That is a holiday (vacation) home. The practice of putting “Doo” on these houses was established in 1935. Some of the Doo’s we saw were Dr. Doolittle, Doo Nothing, Doo Me, Doo I, Doo Us, Gonna Doo and this Will Doo. If your curiosity has been peaked, you can google Doo Town , Port Arthur and read all about it.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colby had Doo Doo in her pants this morning when I got her out of bed. She'll never gain weight at the rate she fills up her diapers.

    So, are Sue's ancestors former criminals?

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to Sue, they came over as a free settlers. However, she didn't want to go into the criminal reseach room, so it is possible there is something she didn't want me to find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's me sista hiker, not Ryn. We are trying to find something clever to say about doo doo. Stephanie can't stop laughing and I'm reminded of a particular hike with my evil husband and sister.
    We are having a great time - bet you wish you went candlepin bowling. My knee, back and shoulder are all injure. Best cure...we are on our way to New Hampshire for a hike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I those we had bright and beautiful colors in the spring/fall. Those out do anything I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete